Stock Market Fraud: SEBI to challenge court order directing FIR against ex-chairperson Madhabi Puri Buch

The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) announced on Sunday that it will challenge the Anti-Corruption (ACB) court’s directive to register an FIR against its former chairperson Madhabi Puri Buch and other officials over alleged stock market fraud. SEBI contended that the order was based on a “frivolous” petition and that it was not given a chance to present its case.

ALSO READStock Market Fraud: Mumbai Court orders FIR against Madhabi Puri Buch, SEBI officials SEBI calls petition baseless

According to SEBI, the case pertains to alleged irregularities in granting listing permission to a company on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in 1994. The application, filed before the ACB Court in Mumbai, named Buch, three current Whole Time Members, and two BSE officials, accusing them of not following SEBI regulations.

SEBI pointed out that the officials in question were not even in their respective positions at the time of the alleged irregularities. Despite this, the court allowed the application without issuing a notice or providing SEBI an opportunity to respond.

ALSO READMaking headlines for many right reasons and one wrong: Three years of Madhabi Puri Buch SEBI plans legal action

The regulatory body further stated that the applicant is a habitual litigant, with previous cases dismissed and penalties imposed in some instances. SEBI reaffirmed its commitment to due regulatory compliance and said it would take legal steps to challenge the court’s decision.

Buch, India’s first woman SEBI chief, completed her three-year tenure on Friday amid allegations of conflict of interest following reports by US-based short-seller Hindenburg and subsequent political scrutiny.

 “A Miscellaneous Application was filed before the ACB Court, Mumbai against the former Chairperson of SEBI, three current Whole Time Members of SEBI and two officials of the BSE.” The application sought directions for the police to register an FIR and investigate into the alleged irregularities in granting listing permission to a company on the Bombay Stock Exchange in 1994, without complying with the provisions of the SEBI Act, 1992, SEBI (ICDR) Regulations, 2018, and the SEBI (LODR) Regulations, 2015, the statement said.

 “Even though these officials were not holding their respective positions at the relevant point of time, the court allowed the application without issuing any notice or granting any opportunity to SEBI to place the facts on record,”

 » Read More

Related Articles

Some pain & some gain: India Inc counts the cost

Corporate India is gearing up for a challenging trade environment in the wake of the 27% reciprocal tariffs imposed by the US on Thursday. While the Trump administration has described the move as its moment of liberation, India Inc leaders feel there are some pain as well as some gain. From India’s perspective, key sectors

Dusit to expand presence in India, eyes emerging cities

Dusit International, a leading Thai hotel and property development company, on Thursday announced plans to expand its presence in India by launching its luxury and upper-midscale brands in key emerging markets.  The strategic expansion plan builds on the momentum of Dusit’s recent foray into the Indian market with the soft-opening of the contemporary and upscale

FMCG firms expect mixed show in Q4

The quarterly updates of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies, which has been released so far for the January-March 2025 period (Q4FY25), present a mixed picture of the sector at a time when urban demand has remained weak. Rural demand, in contrast, has been resilient and is expected to improve in the coming months. While Marico

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

Some pain & some gain: India Inc counts the cost

Corporate India is gearing up for a challenging trade environment in the wake of the 27% reciprocal tariffs imposed by the US on Thursday. While the Trump administration has described the move as its moment of liberation, India Inc leaders feel there are some pain as well as some gain. From India’s perspective, key sectors

Dusit to expand presence in India, eyes emerging cities

Dusit International, a leading Thai hotel and property development company, on Thursday announced plans to expand its presence in India by launching its luxury and upper-midscale brands in key emerging markets.  The strategic expansion plan builds on the momentum of Dusit’s recent foray into the Indian market with the soft-opening of the contemporary and upscale

FMCG firms expect mixed show in Q4

The quarterly updates of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies, which has been released so far for the January-March 2025 period (Q4FY25), present a mixed picture of the sector at a time when urban demand has remained weak. Rural demand, in contrast, has been resilient and is expected to improve in the coming months. While Marico

Indices unscathed by tariff heat

The stock markets did not significantly react to US President Donald Trump’s imposition of 27% reciprocal tariff on the country’s exports. While both the benchmark indices opened sharply lower, they recouped more than half of their losses. The Sensex closed at 76,295.36, down 322.08 points, or 0.42%, while the Nifty fell by 82.25 points, or

Kissht parent’s AUM crosses Rs 4,000 crore in FY25

OnEMI Technology, the parent company of digital lending platform Kissht, has grown its assets under management (AUM) by 55% in the financial year 2024-25, to more than Rs 4,200 crore, founder and executive director, Krishnan Vishwanathan, said. In FY24, their AUM had doubled to Rs 2,700 crore. He added that while the overall unsecured loan